Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A Quiet Christmas Morning

 This was the first Christmas morning since the year I got strep throat (which was in middle school) that we didn't go to my grandparent's house first thing and open all our presents there. I was feeling a little melancholy about it, even though that is what happens when you get older and family moves away. Yesterday Travis and I had a quiet Christmas morning at home together. We slept in until about 9, then came out to the living room to open our gifts.
 I was picking out a record to play and Travis said to choose wisely since it would be the record we listened to every year for the rest of our lives. Haha, I hope I picked well! This one is special to me because my grandmother bought me this album on tape when I was little. We listened to Herb Alpert later, and then Nat King Cole.
 Putting together stockings is one of my favorite things to do! I made that one for Travis years ago when we were dating. Do you see the Sriracha air freshener by Phyllis? I got it here, along with some Sriracha lip balm! Travis LOVES that stuff.
 It was a little challenging finding more healthy options for stockings this year. Here is what Travis got me. I'm obsessed with those go go squeez apple sauce things! I love love that he got me Jane Austen band-aids. I hope there are some Mr. Darcy ones in there.
 Still loving their pajamas! 
 I had promised myself I wouldn't  buy any more wrapping paper until I used up a few rolls, but I couldn't resist this dog paper! I bought the dog labels at Walgreens of all places a few years ago and am just now running out.
 I really love him. 
 You have to get the present mess shot. Classic.
 Look! He got me a peanut pup to match my snack hound! The funniest part is I totally told him there was one on ebay (I hadn't ever seen one listed since I've been looking) and saw him look it up, but was still totally surprised when I unwrapped it!! Ah! And in the original box!
 I got him a new hoodie, and a vintage army bucket. Among other things.
 My sweet girl.
 Travis really spoiled me. I love lil Bub! The pastel portraits are by Chuck Hodi, I got Dr. Frank-n-Furter, Divine, and Pee Wee. What a trio! The book by Alex Gross, it is full of paintings over old cabinet cards! And the other prints are from Danny Brito. I have a ton of his work around my house, I really love it. My ultimate gift would be a portrait of us by him!
 And he got me that chenille bed spread that I saw in Goodlettsville! I am so excited about it! I can't wait to sleep under it in the summer! It is in REALLY good condition. I have been wanting one for a while, but hadn't seen one (in person) that I loved enough to buy.
 The cat's gift was me leaving this box out for them. I couldn't get a good picture of Murray's face because he wouldn't stop rubbing his face on the box! He is in love.
 So ladylike Phyllis.
Our Christmas breakfast. We had rosemary bagettes, some raspberries, scrambled eggs and tempeh bacon. It was really delicious. The bacon is by Turtle Island Foods, and it's this one for any vegetarian readers who are interested! It is perfect on a sandwich!
 And of course we had a green smoothie too, since I knew it was going to be a pretty indulgent day. If you are someone who struggles getting in your green (like me) you can get two cups of kale in a smoothie if you have a banana in there. You can't even taste the kale! It is pretty great. I ended up eating a lot of stuff that I have been avoiding for the last month and it made my stomach hurt. Especially the cheese in the grits. Blarg!
I'll leave you with one last pug in pajamas pic! Do you like the empty leg in the back? She kept slipping that side off. I hope you had a great Christmas!

19 comments:

  1. Aww these are great! Your little pug babies are too cute. Looks like you had a lovely Christmas. :)
    Mandy
    Nestled in Nostalgia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm back and still loving it! LOL Especially that Divine painting. I love John Waters.

      Delete
  2. It seems like a really sweet way to spend Christmas. Oh, I love so many of the items you guys rounded up and could have gifted many to friends I know! Like, for example, the Sriracha air freshener and lip balm. I have a friend that loves the stuff. And, that sock monkey bed is adorable. We have a minor obsession with sock monkeys here (which-long story started by a 4 year old-we call Mr. Gobbles Gobbles)-i need to find one for Orca. Last, the Chuck Hodi prints are amazing! I ended up ordering a Pee Wee for my bestie in Chicago. He and I watched teh Playhouse when we were in High School (and beyond). I think he is going to love it! Thanks for turning me on to CH! Merry Chirstmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that bed is from walgreens a few years ago! they were only 12 bucks too! I wish i would have bought a few! it is so so cute! and i'm glad you like those prints! it was hard for me to pick which ones i loved the most! though of course pee wee was always in the running.

      Delete
  3. this looks like a lovely cozy christmas morning and pretty similar to how i spent mine!
    those little dogs look so gorgeous and i love your new bedspread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rae, tempeh bacon ? Looks like the closet store to me with it is Goodletsville, I am going to have to give this a try Looks like you guys had a great vintage filled Christmas E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes check it out! i like it better than the morning star bacon. it isn't as crispy but it has that good smoked flavor!

      Delete
  5. Lovely pictures--having pets around at Christmas always reminds me that good presents are about how much you enjoy them, not how much they cost (my kitty loves a cardboard box too) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you had an awesome Christmas! My husband and I have been married for 30 years - we quit buying gifts for each other once we got the pugs. Now we just spoil them rotten ...

    I love the pictures of the girls in their pajamas ... so sweet! We have the same "problem" ... those back legs just don't stay in them very well!

    Pug Hugs, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so cosy, and the pups so cute! Merry christmas to you all x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Christmas looked beautiful. The breakfast looked so tasty. Such fresh raspberries. Great choice of record to play and your fur babies looked adorable in their outfits.
    I'm glad you guys had a great day. (Ps: That Divine print is rad)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that bedspread! And your dogs are so expressive...they just crack me up in their red jammies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The peanut pup and the chenille bedspread would definitely make it a Merry Christmas! I think I like a low key holiday. Trying to eliminate stress and increase the fun factor is my credo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like you had a wonderful Christmas :) I am especially envious of your Jane Austen Band-Aids and bedspread. The healthy breakfast looks yummy too.

    Adrienne
    What Lola Wants

    ReplyDelete
  12. We cannot get enough of the babies in their jammies.
    too cute
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  13. we have been listening to herb alpert on repeat. it seems like all of my other christmas records are really depressing. muppets was a great choice, too. i actually forgot i had that one. i really need a record holder. it seems like you two had a perfect low key christmas morning. i would kill for that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you, Travis and the pug babies had a good Christmas together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww, we have the John Denver, Muppets Christmas record too :) Alas, the record player is broken and have never heard it ;) One of these days, I tell ya!! Looks like you a pretty happy Christmas. Good :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe I missed your Christmas day post and missed out on your pugs in their Christmas outfits! Looks like you had a good day, great choice on the record! I love Danny Brito too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...