Monday, July 25, 2016

Open House at Old Friends Senior Dog Sanctuary!

As everyone knows, I am a lover of senior dogs, especially the special needs ones. I have been following Old Friends Senior Dog Sanctuary on Facebook for a long time, and have reblogged this more than once on Tumblr:
Imagine my surprise and delight when I saw them advertising a fundraiser open house, and seeing it was only 30 minutes from my house! I had never even thought to look up where they were located! I immediately bought tickets, and this past Sunday was the day! I'm so thankful for the Facebook Algorithm for making sure I saw this event. (If you love old dogs too, make sure to give them a follow. They post photos of the dogs all the time!)
As you can probably guess by the name, they take in senior dogs and give them a place to live out their lives in comfort. They have lots of dogs at the sanctuary (at least 50!) and more dogs at 150 foster homes in the area. They don't adopt most dogs out, they get them forever fosters and take care of their medical expenses. How wonderful is that?
Crystal came with me because Travis had some work to do at home. We got to go in small groups to see the dogs. They have the "Wilder Gang" and the "Calmer Gang". We saw the wild ones first! OMG, so many gray faces to pet!
If you follow the page, you recognize this guy. It's Leo! He seems to be the most popular Old Friend. We got to pet him! Ahhh!
Just imagine: a petting zoo that consists of tons of old dogs. My heaven! 
You can tell all these angels are well taken care of and loved. The volunteers who were there were so sweet and you could feel their affection for their charges.
The underbite!
I could have stood there all day. 
Toby! (Please notice Frankie the pug in the background.)
Here I am meeting Bugsy, a pug with both his eyes removed. He was so cute! I wish I had asked to see Jeff and Jake! They are a pair of eyeless pugs who are on the site a lot. Everyone at the sanctuary was so nice, asking if there were any favorites we would like to see. Not everyone was out since it was so hot outside, so they carried some of the more fragile residents out for just a few minutes.
Oh look! It's Captain Ron!
Frankie! I was hoping we'd get to see him! Look at that face!
I think this is Snoopy. I love beagles, especially old ones. 
Here you can see what the yard is like. They have a little pool! And a deck with chairs to sit on, and then they have the run of the house. Everything was so well maintained and clean.
The first dog we all requested to see was Mildred! She is running for president this year, and they have been selling really cute "Put a Pug in the White House" shirts. Look at her sweet face!
I was so in love. I told her we have our own Mildred at home who is just as cute. 
That smile!
Next we headed downstairs to meet the "calmer gang". 
They didn't quite live up to that name, LittleBit ran out of the gate first thing! Crystal ran after her and brought her back, she was wild! They have everything double gated of course so she didn't really get out.
I don't know why I was making this face, but it makes me laugh. LittleBit was so sweet! She got hit and dragged behind a car! Poor little thing. The other dog I am petting is Bo. He looked like a little teddy bear.
Look at him! That cocker in the back is Oreo I think. 
These guys had the run of the downstairs. There are beds everywhere! 
Paris! She was queen of the back of the couch. There was the cutest old lady pit bull on the couch,  I never got a good photo, but she was just beautiful.
We headed back up to "the lookout" where most of the dogs are who are looking for foster homes. This is Precious. She is a chihuahua, but so friendly! One of the volunteers told me she loved to be carried around. You don't have to tell me twice!
Amy!
I don't remember this sweet baby's name. 

This furry guy is named Troop and is SO CUTE. He has a furry body and a puppy face! He lays on the floor all splayed out like a bear skin rug.
Ethel! She really has my heart. She has lots of health problems but seems to enjoy tottering around, getting loved on by everyone. That tongue!
This little guy is named Danger! If we could foster a dog right now, I would totally ask if we could bring him home. We've decided to put fostering on hold for a while since Priscilla has gotten so frail.
Two Old Friends, enjoying the sun. 
The open house was such a wonderful experience, I think that Old Friends is an amazing organization. They give so many senior dogs a chance, when so many end up in shelters when their families decide they are too old. Senior dogs make the best pets.

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful place and such beautiful dogs, Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place looks amazing, and I'm sure the work would be so rewarding. I would have loved every second of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the OFSDS (my husband and I have Mildred T-shirts). That's so cool to be able to go and see the dogs. They are such a great organization.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post!! Just look at all the love in those faces!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dream trip! And what a great, great, GREAT organization. I'd probably ugly happy cry the whole time if I were to visit. Seriously. All of these dogs are so stinkin' adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...