Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Top Five: Christmas Movies!


As you know, I love the holiday season. One of my favorite things to do is cozy up on the couch with Travis and the pugs and watch Christmas movies by the light of the Christmas tree. Here are our favorites:
1. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: Like everyone else I grew up watching this on tv every year. Last year I took the plunge and bought my own copy. This one is such a classic, I love the songs, I love the stop motion animation, I love the unlikely dentist side plot. I even love the weird noise Rudolph's nose makes when it lights up. The Bumble is the cutest I think, though my mom told me when she was a kid it made her cry!
2. A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All: Chock full of hilarious weird songs and cameos I like to watch this special a few times every season. The Toby Keith number makes me crack up every time, and Travis and I love to sing the John Legend gem "Nutmeg." And then there is the Colbert and John Stewart duet "Can I Interest You in Channukah?" We've been listening to it while we drive around doing our Christmas shopping. I just have one gift left to buy!
3. Love, Actually: I'm kind of embarrassed that I love this movie so much? I don't know why because I'm not embarrassed about much lamer interests. If you haven't seen it, it is a movie featuring about every British actor you know of, and has all kinds of interwoven stories about love and Christmas. We were just watching it while I was typing this and I cried about five times. It's just so lovely. This is one of those we'll watch during the year sometimes. I think my favorite story is the guy in love with his best friend's wife, or the guy who goes to America to meet girls, or the aging rock star with the lame Christmas single. It's just all so good! (This one barely nudged out The Holiday for top five status. Jack Black needs to be a romantic lead more often! Haha. )
4. The Nightmare Before Christmas: My grandma gave me a VHS copy of this for Christmas when it came out and I was OBSESSED. I watched it every day for weeks until my mom hid it from me. I was always into things that were a little weird, even as a kid (I blame Pee Wee's playhouse). This one is another watch all year favorite. I have a big collection of figures from this movie, and the soundtrack on tape, and picture vinyl, and cd. Beautiful stop motion, great songs, wonderful sweet story about getting in a rut and finding yourself again and not being afraid to fail, and vampires! And a ghost dog! I'm sure you've seen it, but if not go find a copy immediately.
5. Christmas Vacation:  I had to put this one in the top five just because I've probably seen it the most. Like I said the other day, it is Travis' favorite movie of all time and we watch it a lot. It is still funny to me after exactly 1 million viewings. My favorite part is when Clark tells the kids that he heard Santa had been spotted on the radio and Cousin Eddie looks at him deadpan and says "You serious Clark?". I still laugh out loud!

Here are some movies that were close to being in the top five. When I was a kid I had a little cardboard cut out of Ernest in my room. Another weirdo that I loved.  Home Alone is the first movie I can remember going to see in the theater!Of course A Christmas Story has to be in there, and The Muppet Christmas Carol is very nostalgic to me. I feel like it's up there with the original Muppet movie, but I think I'm in the minority on that one. We listen to the John Denver and the Muppets Christmas album every Christmas morning. Magical!
What are your favorites? You would think I would have more classic Christmas movies on my list, but I really haven't seen that many. We're going to see It's a Wonderful Life at the local indie theater, and it might be my first time watching it all the way through!

8 comments:

  1. I love all these movies even though I havent seen a lot of the classics till very recently. As in I didn't see It's A Wonderful Life until 2 years ago...last year I saw Rudolph and this year (tonight in fact) I finally watched Charlie Brown because Jamie said I had to see it. Jamie had never seen Love Actually till we started dating. He loves everything British, so I was kind of baffled that he had never seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i can't believe you hadn't seen rudolph. i feel like everyone was required to watch it on tv when we were in elementary school. have you seen the garfield special? or frosty? No charlie brown? did you family hate christmas? haha! I hate uncle jamie!

      Delete
  2. I really feel like I saw Home Alone in the theater too, but I was only 4 when it came out, so part of me thinks I'm totally making that up.

    Rudolph is my favorite too, and I also bought it last year! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to find "Holiday Inn". It's the original movie with the song "White Christmas" in it. They took that plot and song and reworked it into the glitzy "White Christmas" movie but I prefer the original.

    It's not Christmas until we watch "Bad Santa".....and preferably turn it into a drinking game. lolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know, i have never seen bad santa. i need to rent it!

      Delete
  4. I tried commenting but I guess it didn't stick??? It would be hard to narrow it down (it seems like EVERY movie deals with Christmas) but I love Holiday Inn, It's a Wonderful Life, Lady on a Train, A Christmas Story, and the Pee Wee's Playhouse Christmas Special (on a note of bragging, CHAIRY was at Tiny & Mary's last show and we got to meet her officially last weekend)!!!! I also love White Christmas, Edward Scissor Hands, and every corny Christmas episode of every TV show ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good choices! My favorite is the mst3k episode of Santa Clause conquers the Martians and the Black Adder Christmas. I do love the muppet Christmas carol and Edward scissorhands. The houses in Edward scissorhands are my dream homes

    retro rover

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scrooged! I remember seeing it in the theater, and being terrified and captivated at the same time. Also, Pee-Wee's Christmas Special, for sure. I now watch Pee-Wee's shows and movies with my daughter. I told her how I used to watch Pee-Wee on Saturday mornings when I was her age, and she said, "Were they in black-and-white?"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...