Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My Grandparent's House

My grandparent's live in Sanford, which is just a little outside of Orlando. We stayed in their guest room for most of our trip. My grandparent's moved into their house in the 1970's. My grandma was out visiting a friend and saw the house, which a man had built himself! His wife hated living so far out of town so they were selling it. My favorite part has always been the kitchen. Look at how amazing it is!!
Those yellow cabinets are so nice. All custom work. I would LOVE to have this kitchen! But I would want turquoise instead of yellow.
Oh man I just love it. The wall paper is in perfect condition still! I would be stoked to a found this kitchen when we were house hunting! It is SO BRIGHT though. All those ceiling tiles are fluorescent lights! Grandma turned them all on early in the morning to show me how INTENSE it is, haha.

Here is a picture from the early 80's I think of my grandpa and my cousin (Brett I think?). Other than new curtains it looks just the same!


They have a great backyard. And an orange tree! I remember picking oranges and washing them in their big utility sink one year. And sometimes black bears will lay on that sidewalk and eat birdseed! I wish I would have scanned some of their pictures of the bears. They even come up to the big glass windows! So scary and awesome!
This is a wall paper in the dining room. Killer.
I had a hard time getting a picture of their amazing sunken living room. I love the double front doors and the divider and that afgan! It was the first time Travis had been there and I loved showing him all that stuff that I have seen since I was a little kid. I had to take some pictures to document it because who knows when we'll get to get down there again! Sadly whenever my grandparent's sell the house it will just get town down. Their lot has been rezoned for commercial instead of residential. 
And just you WAIT until I show you all the stuff my grandma sent me home with. A pretty exciting pile of vintage!!
Of course, I have to show you a few vintage family photos now:
Here is my grandma Louise, my grandpa Harold, and all four of their kids. My dad is the littlest. I LOVE this photo so much! My grandpa had all four kids when he graduated college. I couldn't imagine being married and going to school, much less having four kids! 
That is my grandma leaning on that amazing car. Love her bathing suit. I wonder what color the car was, I need to ask her!
And here she is again. Love the hair, the peter pan color, the big buttons! Such a pretty lady.

14 comments:

  1. Oh my god, that house is INCREDIBLE. And yes, I can imagine that you'd better be in a good mood when the light hits that kitchen with how bright it is.

    And get out! Black bears on the sidewalk? Wow!!

    I love the family photos too. You SO look like your grandma in that last shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow how adorable! The house and your grandparents!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHH! I'm dying about that house! Adore!! Hate to think of it being torn down.. over here in NZ it's commonplace to buy a house and move it off the land to somewhere else - hopefully this might happen? Thanks for sharing the pix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love that. I hope someone with a vintage lovin' heart buys it when it finally does go up for sale.

      Delete
  4. That house is amazing, it's my dream house! I can't believe something so beautiful would just be torn down if they sold it. Such a shame.

    http://pony-chops.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I adore the style of your grandparents' house! Seems like so many people have discarded that style and remodeled -- it's nice to see it's alive and well still some places! And amazing photos too :)
    -Mandi (www.lifeinbeta.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know! a cousin of mine just remodeled her pink bathroom AND her blue bathroom. I was crying! I would kill for a pretty retro bathroom!

      Delete
    2. I just had a moment to sit down and snoop around and just found your blog! I love this post on your Grandparent's house...it's just amazing! It takes someone special to embrace bold yellow as a room color and your grandmother has succeeded! I just love it! And that it's authentic straight from the 70's. We are cleaning out my grandmother's house right now, which was also built in the 70's. My brother and his wife are moving in soon and she's asking me what to do about the dark wood paneling that covers almost every wall. I wish her kitchen was bright yellow too! :) Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  6. I L.O.V.E. your grandparents house! It's amazing. The yellow, the room divider, the wallpaper...
    It must also be really great to have a place that has been almost the same your whole life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've always wanted a yellow kitchen! this is by far the best home ever! your grandparents are really living it up <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed, a kitchen painted with turquoise would definitely look better, Rae - turquoise helps calm hyperactive or hypersensitive people. Brett looks so cute with your grandfather holding him. By the way, how are your grandparents doing now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are great! we stayed with them for a week in february and it was awesome.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...